Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Brazen Overtures Like Mints On Pillows

, , , | Right | April 27, 2009

(It is my first night on the job. A woman checks in and complains that there is “man hair” in her bed. I can tell she is tired, so I put her in a new room and even offer to carry her luggage for her, to which she declines. Two hours later, I write a short note saying, “I apologize for the hair in your bed. Please enjoy a free breakfast in the morning on me and I hope you enjoy your stay.” She approaches the front desk moments later.)

Customer: “Um, excuse me. What is this?”

Me: “Well, I felt bad about the problem with your room so I was just trying to show some extra hospitality. I figured you would get it when you woke up in the morning.”

Customer: “No! That’s not what this is. This is sexual harassment!”

Me: “Excuse me? I was trying to be nice and hospitable because I felt bad about your situation.”

Customer: “Do you have any idea what it’s like to be a female traveler, and to be harassed by employees and other male travelers?”

Coworker: “Ma’am, this is his first night working here. I assure you that he used his best judgment, and meant nothing sexual by his nice gesture.”

Customer: “I’m sure he’s nice, but you need to tell him how to interact with female customers. Offering to help carry luggage and putting notes under doors is sexual harassment! I will not be staying here ever again!” *leaves*

Me: *to Coworker* “Note to self: Don’t offer to carry luggage for a woman again or offer her a free breakfast coupon.”

Coworker: “I think she just wanted to think you were sexually harassing her.”


This story is part of the Customers-Are-Their-Own-Worst-Enemy roundup!

Read the next Customers-Are-Their-Own-Worst-Enemy story!

Read the Customers-Are-Their-Own-Worst-Enemy roundup!

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!