Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Bigotry Gets Served, Part 2

, , , , , , | Right | August 15, 2012

(This occurs in the middle of a quiet weekday afternoon while I’m working drive-thru. Since it’s slow, I’m simultaneously taking orders on headset, working the fountain making shakes and freezes, greeting people at the window, taking their money, and passing out the orders.)

Customer: “I want an orange freeze.”

Me: “Alright, sir. Will that be a medium or large?”

Customer: “Large. It’s hot out.”

Me: “Yes, sir, it is. That’ll be [price]. Please pull around to the window.”

(As he pulls around, I’m already at the fountain, mixing his order. I have time to pour it into the cup and meet him at the window as he pulls up. He’s driving an old beat-up pick-up truck with the bed’s cap windows covered in fishing stickers.)

Me: “Good afternoon, sir. That’ll be [price].”

Customer: “Ya see here, this is why I like this place! Ya actually got an English speaker on both ends. Not like them other places down the road that only seem to hire d*** Mexicans and Puerto Ricans. Can’t understand them f***ing sp**s on the speaker. You wanna to live in this country, needa learn the language!”

(He hands me the cash, I enter it, and hand him his drink and change.)

Customer: “I wanna thank your boss for hiring an American instead of some wetback. Go get me your manager, boy!”

Me: “Absolutely, sir. Just a moment please…”

(I turn half around and call back for my assistant manager.)

Me: “Hey José, a customer wants to talk to you.”

(My obviously Puerto Rican boss immediately steps around the corner into view.)

José: “Yes?”

Customer: *turns red and speeds out of the drive-thru*

José: “What was that about?”

Question of the Week

Have you ever served a bad customer who got what they deserved?

I have a story to share!