Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

Best Not Berate Bob Or You’ll Get The Boot

| Right | October 9, 2012

(I go to my local post office several times a week. One the employees, Bob, always has a smile on his face no matter what. One day, I come in and see he’s the only one working. There’s a long line due to many large and complicated orders. A customer comes in behind me, sees the long line, and starts complaining about the slow service.)

Customer: “It’s much faster at [other] post office. Don’t you think they are slow here?”

Me: “No. I think there are a lot of people, it’s lunch time, and Bob there is going as fast as he can.”

Customer: “They are much faster at [other] office.”

Me: “No, they aren’t. That’s why I come here. Bob’s as fast as he can be. Look, he’s not slacking. You can see he’s working as fast as possible.”

Customer: “But they are so rude here!”

(Now I’m angry. This office, and Bob, in particular, is never rude.)

Me: “No, they are not rude. They are nice, even when they have to deal with people like you.”

Customer: *stomps around* “Well, I’m never coming here again! Everyone is rude and slow! Next time, I’m going to [other] office instead!”

Me: “Why don’t you just go there now?”

Customer: “I will!”

(As she leaves, all the other customers nod in relief and the tension in the line disappears.)

Bob: *still smiling, to me* “Thank you.”


Did you find this story using our Postal Workers Workers roundup?

Click here to read the next story!

Click here to get back to the roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!