Right Working Romantic Related Learning Friendly Healthy Legal Inspirational Unfiltered

An Open(ed) and Shut Case

, , , , , | Right | September 17, 2009

Customer: “I need to return this DVD player.”

Me: “I’m sorry, ma’am. We actually can’t do a return on opened merchandise.”

Customer: “This isn’t open.”

Me: “It’s been opened and re-taped.”

Customer: “Why would you think that?”

Me: “Because no manufacturers use duct tape to seal boxes.”

Customer: “So you’re calling me a liar?”

Me: “I’m not trying to, but this has obviously been opened and re-taped and therefore can’t be returned.”

Customer: “What do you know? Where’s your manager?”

(I call my manager and he tells the customer the same things I told her and points out the duct tape. She starts cursing and pounding her fist the counter. My manager finally gives in just to get the customer out of the store. Twenty minutes pass and the phone rings.)

Me: “Thank you calling [Store]. How may I help you?”

Customer: “I returned a DVD player twenty minutes ago and forgot my DVD in it.”


This story is part of our Customers Caught Lying roundup!

Read the next Customers Caught Lying roundup story!

Read the Customers Caught Lying roundup!

Question of the Week

Tell us your story about a customer who couldn't understand the most simple concept.

I have a story to share!